Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Tape Deck #1 - Outkast

So, I'm doing a series/segment/whatever called The Tape Deck. In which I talk about artists I currently listen to, or artists that I really love as fuck. Why? Because I'm bored.
Random disclaimer!!! : Beauty is subjective, we all know that. I may post shit that you don't like and there's a chance that I don't give a fuck if you do. Enough of this shit, let's talk business.. 

OUTKAST

Andre 3000 and Big Boi. Photo from their Facebook.

First heard these guys with their 2000 hit, "Miss Jackson" on my way home in a school bus(4th grade). 3rd hook, and I'm already singing it. So I asked the big 6th grader guy who are they, and he said they're OUTKAST. 

When I got home, I turned on the radio and waited, so I can record it on a blank tape. For an hour, I endured the boyband bombardment, and a little bit of techno shit, until the hip-hop show was on. Thinking about it now, I should've just tuned in ON the hip-hop show's sched. Spare my kid self.

I think it's in the middle of the show when they played it. I remember it was already past midnight. When the Dj said "Outkast", I flexed my fingers then pressed the recording button with precision . I pressed it right in time so the tape can catch the silence between the Dj's voice and the feedback noise in the beginning of the song. 

                                             Outkast - Ms. Jackson

Since then, I have been a big fan. One of the reasons why I like them is because they sound different from their contemporaries. Or even different to what hip-hop has been doing recently. They've successfully fused different genres(I cringe on this term, really) and created a sound of their own. Different from the stale shit others are doing.

                                                Outkast - Roses

Though, I still have to check out solo albums of Andre 3000 and Big Boi. But I can feel that I won't like Big Boi's solo material. Don't get me wrong, I love Outkast as a unit. But Big Boi isn't really someone to look out to. Andre 3000 is a different story though. I've been listening to The Love Below, and god damn that album doesn't have any flaws at all. I'll get back to that some other time. 

Gateway album : Stankonia
Best album yet  : Aquamini/Stankonia
My Favorite       : Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

No comments:

Post a Comment